Posted by :

Author Designation :

Comparison of student visas in Canada, the USA, and the UK

Canada, the United States (USA), and the United Kingdom (UK) are popular destinations for international students, and each country has its own student visa system with some key differences. Here's a comparison of student visas in Canada, the USA, and the UK:


1. Study Permit: Canada issues study permits to international students. A study permit allows you to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada.

2. Work Opportunities: International students with a valid study permit can often work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time during scheduled breaks. After graduation, students can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), which allows them to work in Canada for a specified period, typically equal to the duration of their program, up to three years.

3. Dependent Work Permits: Spouses and common-law partners of international students with a valid study permit may be eligible for open work permits, allowing them to work in Canada.

4. English/French Proficiency: Canada is a bilingual country, so proficiency in either English or French is generally required for admission to most institutions.

5. Healthcare: International students in Canada often have access to public healthcare services through provincial health insurance plans.


1. F-1 Visa: The USA issues F-1 visas to international students for academic and language programs. M-1 visas are for vocational programs.

2. Work Opportunities: F-1 visa holders can work on-campus during their first academic year and may be eligible for off-campus employment under certain conditions. Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM OPT extensions allow F-1 students to work in their field of study for up to 12 to 36 months after graduation.

3. Dependent Work Permits: Spouses and minor children of F-1 visa holders may be eligible for F-2 visas, but they are generally not allowed to work in the USA.

4. English Proficiency: Proficiency in English is typically required for admission to U.S. institutions, and international students may need to demonstrate their language skills through tests like TOEFL or IELTS.

5. Healthcare: International students in the USA often need to purchase private health insurance, as they may not have access to public healthcare.


1. Tier 4 Visa: The UK uses Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child) visas for international students. Tier 4 (General) is for students aged 16 or over pursuing higher education, and Tier 4 (Child) is for students aged 4 to 17.

2. Work Opportunities: Tier 4 (General) visa holders can work part-time during term time (usually up to 20 hours per week) and full-time during vacation periods. Post-study work opportunities are available through the Graduate Route (formerly known as the Post-Study Work Visa), allowing students to work, seek employment, or start a business in the UK for up to two years (or three years for PhD graduates) after completing their studies.

3. Dependent Work Permits: Dependants of Tier 4 visa holders may be eligible to work in the UK.

4. English Proficiency: Proficiency in English is generally required for admission to UK institutions. Proof of English language proficiency through tests like IELTS is often necessary.

5. Healthcare: International students in the UK may have access to the National Health Service (NHS) for healthcare services depending on the length and type of course they are enrolled in.


Here is a general overview of the student visa application process for Indian students in Canada, the UK, and the USA. Please keep in mind that immigration policies and procedures may change over time, so it's crucial to verify the most up-to-date information from the respective official government websites or the nearest embassies and consulates.

1. Canada:

Student Visa (Study Permit):

- Apply for admission to a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

- Receive a Letter of Acceptance from the DLI.

- Create an account on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website and complete the online study permit application.

- Pay the application fee and submit the required documents, including your Letter of Acceptance, proof of financial support, and passport.

- Attend a biometrics appointment if required.

- Attend an interview at the local Canadian Visa Application Centre (VAC) if asked.

- Wait for a decision on your study permit application.

- Once approved, you will receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction and may need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) depending on your nationality.

2. United Kingdom (UK):

Student Visa (Tier 4 or Student Route Visa):

- Secure an unconditional offer from a licensed Tier 4 sponsor (university or college).

- Receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your sponsor.

- Create an online account on the UK government's official website.

- Complete the online application form, pay the application fee, and schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Centre (VAC).

- Attend the appointment and provide biometric information (fingerprints and photograph).

- Attend an interview if requested.

- Submit required documents, including your CAS, proof of funds, and passport.

- Wait for a decision on your student visa application.

3. United States (USA):

Student Visa (F-1 Visa):

- Apply and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-approved U.S. institution.

- Pay the SEVIS fee and receive the I-20 form from your institution.

- Complete the online DS-160 visa application form.

- Pay the visa application fee.

- Schedule and attend an appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate in India.

- Submit the required documents, including the DS-160 confirmation page, I-20 form, proof of financial support, and passport.

- Attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

- Wait for a decision on your F-1 visa application.

For more details contact with our experts

Expert Overseas Education Consultants in India

Vidyaxcel +91 91470 52874 / +91 90070 03661

Registered Office A-32 Calcutta Greens Commercial Complex, 1st Floor, Kolkata - 700075

Branch Offices: Berhampore, Delhi, Patna, Aurangabad & Siliguri.